Shipping & Returns
How much is my shipping?
Online purchases require flexibility and support.JDsbridal.com understands that and wishes to create a satisfying and enjoyable shopping experience for you..If you are not completely satisfied with your order purchase,please contact us within 5 days upon the receiving (No returns accepted after 5days).
Products with quality-related issues may be returned for a refund or exchange by contacting Customer Service within 5 days of receiving your order.please be ready to provide Customer Service with some persuasive pictures or video showing the problem with the items.
2) No quality-related issues
Products (excluding Made-To-Order items, and Clearance/On sales items) with no quality-related issues may be returned for a refund or exchange by contacting Customer Service within 5 days of receiving your order. Free shipping products will be refund of 85% of the item’s price. The remaining 15% will be kept as a restocking fee. You would be responsible for all shipping fees incurred.
*Pls note Made-to-order products cannot be returned for any reason unless quality issues. In exceptional circumstances we may agree to accept a return and we therefore reserve the right to charge a cancellation fee of 30~60% of the order price.
3) Sizing and Fitting issues
As made-to-order clothing is custom-tailored, the finished gown may vary by approximately one inch in either direction of the specified measurements. To ensure that your item will still fit you perfectly, our tailors have created all our dresses with additional fabric in the seams to allow minor size modifications to be made easily.
*Size not as ordered:
If the Item is not the size you ordered Should your item size differ from the specifications of your order by more than one inch, we encourage you to try to find a local tailor to make adjustments, and we will gladly share the tailoring costs with you. If you choose this option, please remember to request a receipt from your tailor as a copy of it must be provided when requesting reimbursement.
*Size as ordered but does not fit:
For Made-To-Order clothing, if the items do not fit properly but were made accurately according to your order specifications, you are eligible for a free, one-time-only re-sizing service. You are responsible for all shipping fees incurred.
Any product that has been used does not qualify for a return or exchange. All returned items must be in brand-new condition, unused and with original tags and packaging.
JDsbridal.com guarantees its products against material and workmanship defects within the warranty period. If a defect arises and a valid claim is received by Customer Service within the warranty period, we can offer you an exchange, repair service, or new components for replacement.
Product-specific Warranty Periods
How do I return my product?
Please email us at email@example.com.Please include your order number(if you have it),Your name and Item(s) returning You will receive an email with a Return Authorization Number and address to return items.